The grants will allow teachers, librarians, administrators, or program leaders to purchase brand new books from the First Book Marketplace at no cost and no delivery charge. Grants will ideally provide six books to each child and will be integrated into the educational mission of the program or organization.
Priority is given to applications that:
- Focus on a targeted group, such as an individual classroom, a grade level team, an age group, or a subgroup (i.e. students who are English Language Learners; students receiving Special Education services; families receiving parenting support; etc.)
- Intend to provide a six-book diet per child (at roughly $2.50 per book) Recent grants have ranged from approximately $100 to $3500.
- Provide specific details about the mission and educational program of their organization.
- Offer creative educational integration of new books. Examples of educational integration from recent successful grant applications include:
- Bridging classroom work with reading at home
- Creating family engagement activities/programs
- Building after-school programs that encourage literacy
- Developing weekly student book clubs
- Connecting literacy activities with Special Education programs
- Fostering reading skills in children who are English Language Learners.
- Clearly suggest how books will be used as part of the curriculum/program AND make it clear that books are for children to take home and keep.
- Indicate that book grants will be spent within six months and that books will be sent home with children during that time frame.
Application Process and Deadline
- Register as a Recipient Group (If you have already done this, you will need your Recipient Group number).
- Complete the application (.doc download).
- Email the application to Jennifer Preisman at email@example.com no later than 5:00 P.M. on Monday, September 16, 2013.
- Applicants will receive notifications about their proposals in mid-October.
- If you receive a grant, you may order your books in the online First Book Marketplace, and they will be sent to you within a couple of weeks.